Saturday, January 1, 2011

Our First Christmas in Belgium

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  2010 proved to be quite an interesting year - never in a million did I picture myself blogging, let alone in Belgium, last New Years.  To think that just a year ago we had no idea we'd be where we are today is incredible - looking back I'm still amazed at how fast everything came about - and here we are, nearly half a year in already!

The Christmas season here turned out to be very nice - and quiet (particularly since most of our shopping was done on-line:)  I felt like for the first time in a long time we were really able to just sit back and enjoy the holiday season.  That's certainly not to say that we didn't miss seeing our friends and family.  It was difficult not to be home, but knowing it wasn't an option just meant that we had to make the best of it - and we did.  It was fun with 'just' the four of us - who knows if we'll ever have that chance again.

I tried to cram as much 'holiday fun' in to the month of December as possible.  My friend Rachel and I hosted a cookie exchange at my apartment early in December.  Neither of us had ever had one before - let alone hosted one - but it was a really good time.  Scott and the boys were especially excited, as we ended up with A LOT of cookies - in fact, there's still a stash in the freezer...

Bo and his friend Reagan enjoying some of the cookies


Bo mooching off Rachel
Together with Brent and Rachel, we headed to Cologne, Germany for their famed Christmas market (or markets, as they had six...)  It was a warm day, if not a little dreary, but it turned out to be a lot of fun.

The markets were crazy crowded.  Here's Cologne's cathedral in the background.









Making candy canes



Not a great picture, but here you can kind of see the cathedral at night - it's beautiful.  

This year was the first year since we've been married we haven't traipsed through the forest looking for the 'perfect' Christmas tree, cutting it down ourselves.  Although we had that sad little break in tradition, we did come away with a pretty nice one, and of course had fun decorating it.  Since we didn't bring a single decoration with us, I had fun collecting some new ones!  Bo had a tough little time adjusting to a tree being in the living room - he could not stop touching it at first - and still takes it upon himself to 'rearrange' the ornaments at his whim, but we've had no major tragedies, although we do seem to find ornaments in the strangest places around the apartment.  







The boys and their friend, Andrew.  We had him and his family over for a Christmas dinner on the 23rd.

The kids and I had a great time baking this year.  I had time to try some new things I hadn't before - as well as attempt my luck at making candy without the use of a thermometer.  I searched high and low to no avail, but it actually didn't turn out too bad.  My proudest accomplishment, however, was the gingerbread house - FROM SCRATCH.  I was so proud of that stupid thing - still am.    Honestly, for about two weeks, it was my third child.  I probably took more pictures of that than of Bo when he was a newborn.  Scott thinks I'm crazy.  It wasn't even that pretty - just very difficult to make (read: stand up on its own.)   I finally threw it out today, and I nearly shed a tear.  





Bo thought the blue food coloring looked tasty and thought he'd give it a try RIGHT IN FRONT of me...

He didn't like it

Making the gingerbread

Trying to get the house to stick together - with soda bottles


Bo was in candy heaven 




We went to Christmas Eve mass Friday night at an English-speaking Catholic church we found that isn't too far from our house.  The Christmas Eve mass was their children's mass and they had kids act out the gospel reading of the birth of Jesus.  It was very sweet and actually held the boys' attention.  They had a Nativity scene outside with real live (hungry) donkeys - one tried taking a bite out of Bo.  It only got his pants - but Will laughed so hard we thought he was going to wet himself - it was pretty funny.  





"'Twas the Night Before Christmas..."
Santa did, indeed find us way over here in Belgium.  Will had the time of his life opening his presents.  It was so sweet - and a little surprising - he was so thankful for his presents.  Bo on the other hand only had eyes for the goldfish Santa put in his stocking.  

Will was soooo excited to get his 'knight castle'


Trying to get a decent picture in front of the fireplace...

Attempt #1

#2

#3

#4

#5

#6...not perfect, but at least they're both looking at the camera.
We repeated the experience under the tree...








The rest of the weekend was just spent hanging out, playing with the new toys, and eating.  It was so nice and relaxing.  Sunday morning we woke up bright and early to pick up my brother Nick at the airport.  Although we had big plans for Sunday to check out the Christmas market and light show at the Grand Place, we continued our streak of laziness, and just hung out here - which I'm sure Nick probably appreciated, as he was a little jet-lagged.   





Nick played 'Santa' as well - as he had a suitcase full of presents for us from my parents, himself and Tim...





 Monday Nick left for Berlin, so we decided it was probably time to get out of our pajamas as well.  We took Will ice skating at the Christmas Market in St Catherine's square in Brussels.  He didn't actually do too bad.  A little shaky at first, but after a while, he didn't even want the 'walker' for help - or my hand - and just kind of shuffled along on his own.  





Wipe-out

I think he enjoyed himself - when we were leaving I asked if had fun - he said, and I quote:  "I had a pretty good time, for the most part."  What?!
We decided to take advantage of Scott's 'free' vacation time off work and travel somewhere.  As we waited too long to book flights - we initially were thinking of Rome or Barcelona - and tickets were crazy high, we just decided to drive instead.  We ended up going to Geneva, Switzerland, then returned home through the Burgundy area of France.  

Geneva is a beautiful city that sits on the doorstep of France, Lac Leman (Lake Geneva), and is perfect to explore on foot.  Although we had a few very dreary, foggy days, the temperature was pretty mild, so a good time to explore.  One of the main attractions of Geneva is the Jet d'Eau, a fountain that essentially comes out of the lake.  




You can barely make out the fountain way in the background.  
Geneva's cathedral, Saint Peter's, is known as the place where reformer John Calvin preached.  Having been a reformist church, it was noticeably stripped down from many religious paintings, etc. - pretty bare boned - but still a beautiful church.  

View from the cathedral


Saint Peter's cathedral



Visiting Geneva's armory - Will was in heaven
The narrow streets of Geneva.  Note the Swiss flags - national pride in Switzerland is unmatched - haven't seen more flags anywhere!

Scott and I played a mean game of checkers at Bastions Park in Geneva...we ended up getting bored and calling it a 'draw'


Statues commemorating the major events ad figures of the Protestant Reformation.  Statues of Guillaume Farel, Theodore de Beze, John Knox and John Calvin sit atop the 100 meter wall, eternally guarding over the "City of Refuge"






When the possibility of doing a travel assignment first came up the two openings were in Brussels and Geneva.  Geneva sounded to me to be the choicier option, but before Scott could even apply the position was filled.  Although I was initially disappointed, I am now thanking the Lord we didn't end up there.  Beautiful as it is, it is also VERY expensive.  I'm not sure how we would have managed that!

 Although I'm not big on French food, I couldn't resist trying fondue in Switzerland!  

Hanging out at the hotel
 We decided to see a little more of Switzerland on our way home, and drove along Lake Geneva to the city of Lausanne.  Returning home this way took us through the mountains of Switzerland and France - a beautiful drive - that got a little hairy at times, as we have no snow tires, and were making hairpin turns on narrow, mountain roads.  On the up side, though:  we were up so high the fog burned off and we had some beautiful views.


The third night we stayed in the city of Dijon, which is in the Burgundy area of France.  This area is known for it's food, wine and mustard, and I am sorry to say, the Miller's didn't get to enjoy any of that.  One fact that Scott and I have had to get used to traveling with two small children is that we don't get to eat in the places we'd often like to - or drink the wine we'd like to, for that matter.  In three days we ate at McDonald's twice! And as it was New Year's Eve, no stores were really open, so I wasn't able to buy that bottle of Dijon mustard I was wanting to...haha.  But we can't really complain too much - the kids really do travel well.  On the seven hour drive there we only had to stop once at six hours for gas - the kids didn't even get out - and yesterday again we only stopped for gas.  So, I suppose it's a give and take!

Next time we'll hit up the city of Nancy, for you Grandma!

So here it is - January first.  I can't believe Scott has to go back to work in two days.  As he's been working a lot lately it's been so nice having him around all the time - vacation has gone so fast.  I have to say I'm feeling a little 'holiday let-down'.  It went so fast, and now that it's over and I don't have it to look forward to anymore I'm really missing home more.  But Nick returns tomorrow night for ten more days - the boys are very excited (and so am I:)  The two of us are flying to Krakow on Friday for the weekend - hopefully the weather cooperates, as it's been crazy here in Europe (not unlike the Midwest, so we hear)!

2 comments:

  1. Rest assured you aren't missing much back here Jacks! The holidays came and went just as fast for us as it did for you. And back to work we are!!! I had a bit of the holiday blues this morning as well.

    The BHS clan didn't even attempt to get together this year as our lives are all so busy! So hang in there! Enjoy the time you have and it'll be over before you know it! Miss ya!

    (Awesome blog post by the way! I love reading them...and get so jealous of everything you guys are doing! My blogging has been a bit M.I.A. lately. I've come to the realization that 3 kids don't allow much time for blogging!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.....and I think your Ginger Bread House is AMAZING! I think Scott needs to give you more credit!

    ReplyDelete